Sunday, January 21, 2007

Must have plow experience

SLC

So here I am waiting in a line. Something I'll probably be doing a lot of over the next week.

Today marks my first official day of Sundance. And, of course, it's already been anything but dull. Rising at 5:30a to camp out for day-of-show tickets (as necessitated by the fact that when we committed to doing Sundance the passes were sold out and we weren't able to get a slot for locals-only ticket sales) is a nasty prospect nearly anywhere, but it becomes more of a chore when it's 13 degrees outside and there's at least an inch of fresh snow on the ground. Sure, those who are native to wintry climates will probably scoff at this and say that such weather is normal. But, even with 18 years in Minnesota, living in Santa Monica has turned me soft. Cold air in my face, slippery, freshly snow-covered sidewalks and a nice big snowplow working on the driveway and parking lot greeted me as I left Kit's apartment. After dusting the new snow off of the car, I slid down the road about a mile to the SLC festival box office on yet-to-be-plowed roads making excellent use of AWD, ABS and heated seats. And now, watching yet another parking lot get once-overed by a plow, I sit and wait until the box office opens at 8a and see what films I can get us into..

No comments: